Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lauren DiCioccio - Sewn news

Lauren DiCioccio's Sewn news has captured my attention more than once before. I absolutely love how she transforms a mass produced media object (that is generally now becoming obsolete) into an embroidered time consuming art piece. 

In her own words Lauren describes the feelings she is trying to provoke.

The tedious handiwork and obsessive care I employ to create my work aims to remind the viewer of these simple but intimate pieces of everyday life and to provoke a pang of nostalgia for the familiar physicality of these objects.
14MAR10 (marcus morris) 2010
10JAN10 (shonn greene) 2010
3DEC09 (robert gates) 2010
Hand-embroidery on cotton muslin upholstered around the May 9, 2008 edition of The New York Times
11JUL07 (detail)
13MAR10 (Richard Fuld), detail 2010
Her process fascinates me. She is defiantly one to watch.  

1 comment:

melissa-jade gregan said...

holy moly......these are seriously amazing. i'm blown away!