Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How do you define your creativity?

I've been thinking alot in the past year or so on how I define myself and my creativity. There are so many words to describe creative people. You could be a designer, maker, embroiderer, craftsperson, decorator, artist, stylist, videographer, photographer, illustrator, blogger, stitcher and the list goes on. In some ways I identify with all of these titles so how do I chose one that summarizes what I'm interested in and passionate about. I struggle with picking just one that people understand, respect and can relate to.

As a child I aspired to be an artist. I had a romantic idea that being an artist would mean I get to draw all day and make things. As I progressed through high school the determination to draw all day was probably affected by slightly disappointing marks in painting and the rapid rise of my love for photography and graphic design.

Post high school I pursued a degree in graphic design which I loved but there were some areas I felt uncomfortable in. I just didn't quite fit. My passion for craft influenced my graduation project where I explored the relationship between pixels and stitches. The contrast between limited edition and mass produced, handmade and technologically produced. Graphic designer somehow didn't seem to reflect those interest entirely.

The label or title that fits the best with me at the moment is probably a maker. I make designed objects, things out of paper, things about of fabric, images of light, videos, collages. Although I'm comfortable with this title there is a sense that who I am and how I express my self creatively is an evolving and ongoing exploration. The struggle to define myself helps me to explore new mediums and creative outlets.

Does what you make define you creatively? I'd love to know what title you think fits you.

2 comments:

Jaimee said...

LOVE this Beth - been grappling with similar ideas lately but not quite known how to verbalise it! I think the challenge is allowing ourselves to identify as many different things, without squishing ourselves into a box not made specifically for us. I often baulk at being labelled 'creative' cause I can't draw/design/play instruments.. but allowing that title to take on new meaning within my own skill set still allows me to 'fit' it!

B said...

Thanks for your comment and encouragement Jaimee. You are totally creative!